Source : New SabahTImes
18th November, 2007
KOTA KINABALU: The Sabah FA is going ahead with its plan to organise the Quadrangular Tournament.
Its Executive Secretary Harry Baking said that so far three teams have confirmed their participation, including the Rhinos.
The other two teams are Super League outfit DPMM of Brunei and Persiba from Balik Papan.
“We are now waiting for confirmation from another club from Indonesia,” said Harry, referring to Persibom – a Sulawasi North outfit.
Harry said that he is expecting to get confirmation by next week.
He then pointed out that the tentative date for the tournament is from Nov 25 to Nov 30 at the Tawau Sports Complex.
On the format of the competition, Harry said that it will be discussed during the managers’ meeting.
Harry said this tournament is part of the Rhinos’ preparations ahead of the new season that kicks off next month.
The Rhinos will kick start their Premier League challenge by playing away to Armed Forces on Dec 17.
On another development, Harry revealed that they are expecting the Croatian striker to arrive next week.
“We are expecting him to be here on Wednesday,” said Harry.
With the arrival of the Croatian, Sabah’s search for foreign players would be over.
They already have the services of Bosnia-Herzegovina defender Dragic Dalibor.
Besides the Croatian, they are also set to sign an Englishman – Jamie Phoenix – a striker, who can also play as an attacking midfielder.
Harry said that Jamie had verbally agreed to terms and conditions of the contract that has been offered to him.
However, Harry said that Jamie is back in England to attend to a personal matter before returning to Sabah on Nov 21, which will be on time for the Quadrangular Tournament.
Interestingly, the Quadrangular Tournament will see Sabah parade its full squad with the arrival of the Croatian and the Englishman.