Penang in further turmoil

GEORGE TOWN: The Football Association of Penang has been thrown into further turmoil after the deputy chief minister resigned as its president yesterday.

Mohd Fairus Khairuddin, who had been criticised by fans and officials for not showing much interest in the association’s affairs, an-nounced his resignation at the Penang Development Corporation Raya open house.

He made the announcement after being pressed by journalists who had been trying to get him to break his silence over the association’s woes for weeks.

“I am making a statement because I want to put an end to this hot topic.

“I have tried my best in the last few months to fulfil my obligations as president but unfortunately, I cannot give it my full attention.

“My schedule for next month is already packed because there is so much to be done.

Mohd Fairus said he did not announce the decision earlier because he had just discussed it with the association’s council.

Association secretary Datuk Mohd Junid Noor expressed shocked when he heard about the resignation.

“Mohd Fairus should have waited until Wednesday’s council meeting, or have the courtesy to inform the rest of the council before making the announcement to the press.

“The planned council meeting will go on as scheduled as we have problems to sort out. If the head of a family leaves, life still goes on for the rest of the family,” said Junid.

Mohd Fairus said he would be recommending a replacement but would leave it to the council to decide.

Throughout Fairus’ six-month tenure as president, the association faced a financial crisis, with the state players not receiving salaries for more than four months.

Penang might withdraw from the Super League competition next year because of the crisis.

A decision on the matter is expected tomorrow.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *