FAM names 11 players involved in match-fixing

KUALA LUMPUR: The Football Association of Malaysia (FAM) suspended 11 Negeri Sembilan President’s Cup players for between one to five years, effective Nov 30 last year, following their involvement in match-fixing.

According to a statement from the FAM yesterday, investigations carried out by the FAM Disciplinary Committee over players and officials of the Negeri Sembilan President’s Cup squad, revealed their involvement in match-fixing.

The statement said four players – Mohd Yatim Abdullah, D. Adrian, Norhairi Abdul Rahman, Muhammad Zulfadhlie Mohamad A’ashari – were suspended for one year while Muhammad Zaidi Othman, Hamirul Fahamie Abu Yazid, Anwarul Hafiz Ahmad, Muhammad Haikal Mohamad Nazri, Suhairy Johari, Muhammad Rizqi Azman and Mohd Hafiz Mohd Nor were suspended for five years from any football activities at national level.

“Appeal can only be made after one year and via a written appeal to the FAM,” said FAM.

FAM also stated that Negeri Sembilan’s President’s Cup coach Yusarman Yusof was given a life ban from football activities and can only submit an appeal after 10 years.

The statement added that a number of players and officials from the President’s Cup squads of SDM Penang, Johor MP Muar and Terengganu T-Team have been temporarily suspended pending the FAM Disciplinary Committee’s investigation.

FAM secretary-general Datuk Azzuddin Ahmad had recently announced that the FAM had suspended 18 players and officials for fixing President’s Cup matches last year.

A bribery scandal which had rocked Malaysian football back in 1994 and 1995, saw more than 100 players banished.

Meanwhile, time may be running out for T-Team to sign foreign players before the Feb 13 dateline, set by the Football Association of Malaysia (FAM).

T-Team coach Yunus Alif said though four foreign players had undergone trials with the team over the past week or two, none had impressed him.

“They did not match the credentials on paper…in fact they were only on par with local players,” he said.

Yunus said according to a players’ agent, a number of foreign players would be brought in today to attend trials.

T-Team are looking for a replacement after terminating the services of Zambian import Zacharia Simukonda who had once been a prolific striker with Perlis.

Yunus said if T-Team failed to sign a foreign player before the dateline, they would have to wait for the second registration window in April.

He added that it was difficult to sign a good player since most of them had already been snapped up by teams playing in the M-League.

With the exit of Simukonda, T-Team currently have only Bosnian import Bojan Petric to spearhead the team’s challenge in the Super League.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *